Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) will soon move from its longtime home at 122 C St NW to Historic Farren’s Stable in the Capitol Hill Historic District, where it looks over Folger Park. Mike Gordon, VP of Stout & Teague, represented the Landlord in brokering the deal. Farren’s Stable, built in 1890, is a three-story brick building which was originally used to stable horses for congressmen. It even had a freight elevator to lift carriages up to the 2nd and 3rd floors for storage.
Fast forward to the 1970’s when Hedgehog Holdings (HH) acquired it and undertook major renovations to restore it to its youthful beauty with its distinctive brick facade. The Capitol Hill Squash Club soon moved into the adjacent structure after HH undertook a major redevelopment of the site. The sport’s broad popularity drew politicians and other notables. In time, the neighborhood improved and the squash club became the Washington Sports Club – Capitol Hill where it still attracts notables such as President Obama. A number of nonprofits made their home there, and soon ELCA will move into this revitalized cultural and historic building.